Day 1 / Ella / We conquer the mountains
Breakfast: toast with avocado, egg and salad + branded cold coffee
Intercept something at the supermarket
Kandy-Elle Express Train
Traveler's snack: samosa and tea
Lunch: vegetable soup
Tuk-tuk to the parking lot of the Nine Arch Bridge
View Ravana's Cave
40 rubles and about a hundred calories when lifting
Take a look at the temple, which 2000 years old
donation - 40 rubles
Dinner: Sri Lankan rice and 10 curry in banana leaf + cocktail
- It's hard to find a hearty breakfast cafe in Kandy, but it, yet, yes - Cafe Secret Alley.
- We leave for the station, buying a ticket for the familiar Kandy-Badulla train (Kandy-Badulla). We'll have to go to Ella (She). The route will take 6 hours, but this is the most beautiful road, believe me! Forests await you on the way, the mountains, ovaries, hamlets, lakes, temples ... and, sure, Sri Lankan atmosphere. We take tickets to the second class. It is at the beginning of the train. And don't forget to run into the supermarket and grab something to eat..
- When traveling, try to push through tourists to the door (and you thought, that the only ones ride the train?), to take photos. You will see, if I may say so, bar - buy samosa there (fried pies with potatoes) and tea. We promise, don't get poisoned.
- Go to one of the cafes near the station for a snack. Check into your hotel and travel to the Nine Arch Bridge (9 Arch Bridge). This is one of the main attractions of Ella and the largest bridge in Sri Lanka. If you're lucky, you can catch a passing train on it.
- We go to the caves Ravana's Cave. Long uphill climb ahead. And the accompanying, likely, there will be local dogs. You will not be lost.
- Coming down from the mountain, walk a couple hundred meters to the right, there will be an old temple in the rock. They say, that there is a tunnel inside, presenter in Kandy and Colombo. A barefoot boy will surely run to see you off. Seems free, but the boy will clearly hint at the donation.
- At dusk, the city will revive and fill with European tourists. We go to Cafe Chill - the most popular place in the city.
- Cafe Secret Alley — 10/1/1/1, Kotugodalla Street, Kandy.
- All attractions of Ella can be found on the map.
- Cafe Chill — Wellawaya-Ella-Kumbalwela Highway, She.
Statistics on the development of the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic in Sri Lanka
On 22 August 2020 in Sri Lanka fixed 2 941 case of infection with coronavirus Covid-19. Over the past 24 hours, the number of people infected has not changed. The total number of deaths from coronavirus infection in Sri Lanka is 11 person, deaths have been recorded today. 141 human, of them 1 in critical condition. Mortality rate: 0.37%.Confirmed cases of complete cure for the virus today, 22 August 2020 in Sri Lanka: 2 789.
The graph shows the values of confirmed cases of infection with coronavirus Covid-19 in Sri Lanka by day since the beginning of the collection of official statistical information.
* Zero values mean no data
Transport: other means of transportation
- Okay, finished with tuk-tuk! It's not the only way to get around. In big cities, like Colombo and Kandy, much easier to use Uber and Peak Mi apps (Pick Me). Peak Mee - local variant of Uber, and in addition to cars, you can order a tuk-tuk from them. It's better to order in advance, since the car can come through 15-20 minutes. But in general, it is much more convenient, than catching knock knock on the road, and no need to bargain. The price for the trip will not be much more expensive, than in a tuk-tuk, which you catch on the street.
- Another way to get around is by buses. I do not recommend using the buses in Colombo, especially at rush hour. I drove them for a whole year on my first visit to the island., nothing too scary, sure, won't happen, but someone can try to "accidentally" snuggle or touch the causal places. Better to spend money and catch a knock knock or order an uber. On the other hand, You can and should travel from city to city by bus, especially if you are traveling on a budget. Comfortable buses run in several directions in Sri Lanka. for example, from Maharagama (suburb of Colombo) in Halle (Goll) and from Colombo to Jaffna. These buses have comfortable seats and air conditioning.. The rest of the buses are pretty simple, without air conditioning and often without a seat. There's a possibility, that all the way you have to stand, but cheap.
- It is convenient to travel long distances by train. The most beautiful views from the train are, when you drive through the highlands (Candy, Nuwara Eliya, Ella). You can buy a ticket right before your trip, but usually only in third grade, which means, без посадочного места. If you're lucky, sit down, if not, you will ride on the floor in the vestibule, which is actually not so bad, how does it sound. Doors to carriages are not closed, so you can sit in the opening, dangling legs, overlooking the mountains. If you want to buy a second class ticket (with guaranteed place) or to first grade (with air conditioning), you need to take care of tickets in advance. Either buy all tickets immediately upon arrival in Sri Lanka or order them through a travel agency before arriving on the island.
- Another common way to get around the island is by car with a driver. Sounds very pretentious, but in fact it is not that expensive, as it may seem, especially if you are traveling with friends and can split the cost. You can remove it like a small car, and mini bus. It will be cheaper without air conditioning. There is also an option to rent only a car or a car with a driver, and I recommend the second option, because…
- ... because the traffic rules in Sri Lanka are only in theory, but in practice everyone creates, what he wants. I have enough stress even in the passenger seat. I wouldn't want an enemy to drive a car on the island. So if you come to rest, it is better to entrust the driving to the local.
- Since Sri Lanka is very small, there is practically no space between cities and villages. As soon as one city ends, тут же начинается другой. When I first went to Nuwara Eliya, then everything was waiting, when will we leave Colombo and forests and fields will begin. I waited for two hours and thought, Wow, what columbo is huge! Until someone explained, that in two hours we have already traveled a dozen different cities. A little life hack, to understand, where exactly are you: look at the signs of shops and restaurants. Usually, the signs will have the full address of the place, the last word in the address is the name of the city (in Colombo the last word is the name of the area).
- Get ready for that, that it will take you much longer, to get to your destination, than you planned. Sri Lanka now has two highways: from Colombo to Matara and from Colombo to the airport. The rest are dear old and broken, traffic jams, so it may take two to three hours, to drive 60 kilometers. Do not plan to visit several attractions in different cities on the same day (if they are not near), you will get very tired on the road.
In the Khantan mountains near Kandy
On the world map
На каждом шагу продаются лотерейные билеты.
Lottery tickets are sold at every turn.
Electric cabinets are wrapped in mesh, чтобы на них не вешали афиши и объявления.
Electrical boxes are wrapped with wire mesh to prevent flyering and bill posting.
A traffic light.
The markings in front of the zebra are made in a zigzag, how in , or .
Traffic lane markings turn into zigzags at the approach to a zebra crossing, like in , or .
curious, что почти на каждом здании в центре висит кафельная плитка с логотипом всемирного наследия ЮНЕСКО.
Interestingly, almost every building downtown bears a tile with the UNESCO World Heritage logo.
Moreover, all these houses are disfigured in the most mediocre way by advertising., накладными щитами и стеклопакетами.
Yet all of these buildings have been disgracefully mutilated with ads, stuck-on panels and insulated window units.
A request to be decorous.
Please observe propriety at all times.
Табло на вокзале.
A passenger information display at the train station.
A tourist office.
Самая интересная деталь в Канди — бумажка еженощного обхода магазинов охраной. Восемь раз за ночь вохровец должен поставить свою подпись на бумажке, приклеенной рядом с дверью магазина, confirming, что ничего не случилось.
The most interesting detail in Kandy is the paper nightly security log. Eight times a night, a paramilitary security officer must sign the piece of paper glued on the wall next to the shop door to confirm that nothing happened.
Cost of living and prices of goods in Sri Lanka
|Lunch||Inexpensive restaurant||1 people.||1.7 USD|
|Lunch||Middle class restaurant||2 people.||10.1 USD|
|Lunch||McMeal at McDonald's||1 PCS.||4.7 USD|
|Beverages||Local beer||0.5 liters||1.7 USD|
|Beverages||Imported beer||0.33 liters||2.7 USD|
|Beverages||Coke/Pepsi||0.33 liters||0.5 USD|
|Beverages||Water||0.33 liters||0.3 USD|
|Products||Water||1.5 liters||0.5 USD|
|Products||White fresh bread||500 r.||0.4 USD|
|Products||Eggs||12 PCS.||1.3 USD|
|Products||Milk||1 liter||1.2 USD|
|Products||Onion||1 kg.||0.8 USD|
|Products||Cabbage||1 head||0.9 USD|
|Products||White rice||1 kg.||0.5 USD|
|Products||Potato||1 kg.||0.9 USD|
|Products||Tomatoes||1 kg.||1.0 USD|
|Products||Local cheese||1 kg.||9.3 USD|
|Meat||Chicken fillet||1 kg.||4.0 USD|
|Fruits||Apples||1 kg.||2.0 USD|
|Fruits||Bananas||1 kg.||0.8 USD|
|Fruits||Oranges||1 kg.||1.7 USD|
|Alcohol||Middle class wine||1 bottle||9.6 USD|
|Alcohol||Local beer||0.5 liters||1.6 USD|
|Alcohol||Imported beer||0.33 liters||2.1 USD|
|Cigarettes||Marlboro||1 pack||4.7 USD|
|Public transport||One way trip||1 ticket||0.1 USD|
|Public transport||Transport||Travel card||6.8 USD|
|Taxi||Initial rate||Landing||0.3 USD|
|Taxi||Trip||1 km.||0.3 USD|
|Taxi||Expectation||1 time||0.7 USD|
|Fuel||Gasoline||1 liter||0.8 USD|
|Car, purchase||Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline||1 PCS.||27,024.9 USD|
|Sports||Fitness Centre, season ticket||1 month||11.1 USD|
|Sports||Tennis court, rent||1 time||7.1 USD|
|Relaxation||Cinema, international film||1 a place||3.4 USD|
|clothing||Jeans, Levis 501||1 couple||31.3 USD|
|clothing||Summer dress in Zara, H&M||1 PCS.||28.7 USD|
|Footwear||Nike Running Shoes||1 couple||51.8 USD|
|Footwear||Leather office shoes||1 couple||28.9 USD|
|Rental of property||Apartment in the city center||1-room||206.5 USD|
|Rental of property||The apartment is not in the center||1-room||122.9 USD|
|Rental of property||Apartment in the city center||3-room||578.7 USD|
|Rental of property||The apartment is not in the center||3-room||295.4 USD|
|Utilities||Electricity, heating… 85 sq. meters||1 month||44.3 USD|
|Communication||mobile connection||1 minute||0.0 USD|
|Communication||Unlimited Internet||1 month||19.1 USD|
|Buying a home||Apartment in the city center||1 sq. meter||1,260.5 USD|
|Buying a home||The apartment is not in the center||1 sq. meter||776.1 USD|
|The salary||Average salary after taxes||1 month||247.7 USD|
|Epoque||Interest rate||1 year||12.24%|
Day 0 / Candy / Buddhist shrines
Bus from the airport to the station of Colombo city
Lunch: traditional Sri Lankan rice with assorted curry + smoothies mango-marakuya
View the city from the Buddha statue
Visit the Temple of the Tooth Relic
Dinner: shrimp in coconut with rice and signature cocktail
1 050 rubles
- Arriving, looking for a bus 187 to Colombo (Colombo).
- In the city we go to the train station and take second class tickets for the Colombo-Kandy or Colombo-Badulla train. But let's get off at the station in Kandy. If the thrill isn't enough, can you sit down (but rather stand) in a third class carriage with local. Enjoy the views. Drive about two and a half hours.
- We run from the train to lunch at The Empire Cafe, trying traditional Sri Lankan curries (snacks) and wash down the smoothie.
- Let's get to know the city, looking at him from above. Need a Bahiravakand Temple. Climbing the hill, and there on the statue of Buddha, turned into an observation deck.
- We go for a walk around the lake and go to the complex of the Temple of the Tooth of Buddha (Sri Dalada Maligawa) - a striking landmark of Kandy and the main temple of Sri Lanka. This very Tooth is kept here. Which means that? Hundreds of tourists and pilgrims from all over the world. The interior is impressive, what can not be said about the appearance of the temple. You will be asked to take off your shoes, so follow, so that there is no hole on the socks. It is also worth covering all your bare spots.. Ask for an audio guide at the entrance.
- After a dirty Kandy I want to wash ... and at least have dinner in a neat place, so we go to the restaurant at the Royal Bar & Hotel.
- The Empire Cafe — 21 Temple Street, Kandy.
- Bahрам Bahirawakanda Vihara Buddha - Bahirawakanda Rd, Kandy.
- Sri Dalada Maligawa - Sri Dalada Veediya, Kandy.
- Royal Bar & Hotel — No.44 Kings street, Raja Veediya, Kandy.
Weather, climate, temperature by months in Sri Lanka
|Humidity in the morning||%||78||81||83||81||77||80||81||81||78||76||76||75||79|
|Humidity in the evening||%||65||66||65||61||57||57||58||62||65||64||64||64||62|
|Wind speed||Km / h||9||8||8||9||9||9||9||8||9||9||9||9||9|
|Length of day||Hours||13||12||12||12||12||12||12||13||13||13||13||13||12|
|Sum of active temperatures||°C||518||512||481||487||483||454||530||544||565||527||541||539||6182|
Day 5 / Hiccups / Rest of the seal
Breakfast in the hotel
free or 200 rubles
Feed sea turtles
Sunbathe on a tropical beach
Lunch: business lunch of rice and 5 curry and mango lassi
mask rental 1 time - 120 rubles
Dinner: two fresh crabs with salad and potatoes. AND, why sin, beer
- If the hotel does not include breakfast, do not despair. You can ask the owner to cook it. He will take no more than three dollars, and there will be an omelet on the table, company with coconut, fresh fruits, toast, jam and fresh juice.
- Large sea turtles can be seen on the central beach in the morning and evening: feed them algae, to stroke, take pictures and be absolutely stunned, riding on them. For food, sure.
- We go to lunch at the beach cafe Ranjith's Beach Hut and take a business lunch from 5 curry: rice with curry of your choice (hen, a fish, shrimp or beef) + sambol (grated coconut with chili and lime) + loaves of papadam + gave curry (lentils in coconut milk) + stewed eggplant. We wash down the mango lassi - a mix of mango and yogurt.
- We go to the beach for snorkeling. Looking at the ocean, he will be to the right (Hikkaduwa Coral Reef). We rent a mask and dive into the depths of the sea to get acquainted with the local inhabitants.
- We walk along the street and go to the SPA we like - we need to try reflexology on ourselves. According to the internet, then correctly stimulated points on the feet relieve stress. Although what a stress on vacation? Is that after the bus.
- Go to a place called Cool Spot. There is no exciting ocean view, instead, we'll watch the local drivers go crazy. And here are the most delicious crabs on the coast!
All kinds of gambling
The following games can be played on the island:
- black Jack;
- Rapid roulette;
- three card poker;
- poker texas hold'em;
- asian poker;
- Caribbean Stud Poker;
- poker omaha;
- indian flush;
- mini flash;
- “casino war”;
Top Casinos - Colombo
Sri Lanka's legal casinos are concentrated in the capital city of Colombo, on a narrow coastal strip of a prestigious commercial area, adjacent to parks, beaches, shopping centers and offices of large companies. At the moment there are 10 operating casinos. Among them:
- Ballys Colombo;
- Bellagio Entertainment Sri Lanka;
- Casino Marina Colombo;
- Continental Club;
- Crown Club;
- Kollupitiya Casino;
- MGM Colombo Casino;
- Stardust Casino Colombo;
- The Ritz Club;
- Tokyo Club.
In general, all casinos have about 190 tables for the game, among them 40 poker, and besides, more than a hundred slot machines.
Everything for poker lovers
Marina Colombo casino has a Jim's Poker Room for forty tables. В нем работает школа покера для всех желающих научиться этой благородной карточной игре.
There are four best casinos, which are controlled by Dhammika Perera:
- Ballys Colombo;
- Bellagio Entertainment Sri Lanka;
- Casino Marina Colombo;
- MGM Colombo Casino.
Dhammika Perera – this is a sri lankan millionaire, from 19 years in gambling business. He's in control now 10% all companies on the island. Casinos under his auspices are considered among the best in Central Asia. for example, Casino Marina Colombo – four-story building, where each room is dedicated to a different category of players, from ordinary to VIP-persons.
These gambling houses have their own restaurants and bars., they cooperate with the best hotels in the capital. They offer guests private parking. there is also a club system of cards and a package system “all inclusive” for VIP clients and junket tour participants. The packages include:
- accommodation in 4- or 5 star hotel;
- round-trip air ticket;
- transfer airport-casino;
- casino discounts;
- free food and drinks.
Top three casinos
The rest of the gambling houses provide everything you need for a good game and a pleasant stay.. One of the best independent casinos from Dhammiki Perera – это Stardust Casino Colombo, the second largest on the island, in him 40 tables for card games. At the first place, by the way, located the Casino Marina Colombo, where is located 90 card tables, 40 poker tables, 70 slot machines. Bellagio Entertainment Sri Lanka in third place - 32 table, but at the same time 4 slot machines.
https://youtube.com/watch?v = tfUXG90-lzE
Casino on the island: Bahamas, Aruba, Djerba, Dominican Republic, Ibiza, Sowing, Malta, Mauritius, Mallorca, Jeju, Corfu, Rhodes, Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Curaçao, Vanuatu, Haiti, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, Sri Lanka, Antigua and Barbuda, Bali, Cyprus, Guadeloupe, Bonaire, Madagascar, Saint Lucia, Set-Kits and Nevis, Martinique, New Zealand
Prices and bargaining
Денежная единица страны — ланкийская рупия. Approximate exchange rate 150 рупий к 1 dollar. Вывозить местную валюту из страны запрещено. Обменивать доллары на рупии выгоднее всего прямо в аэропорту. В магазинах острова цены на один и тот же товар могут кардинально различаться. Перед покупкой пройдитесь по окрестным торговым точками и приценитесь. it happens, что в магазине напротив искомая безделушка стоит в два раза дешевле. На Шри-Ланке не любят агрессивно торговаться. Беседуйте с продавцом в дружелюбной манере и, possibly, you will be able to significantly reduce the price of the product.
На рынках и в частных магазинах нужно торговаться, но не агрессивно: foreigners are considered wealthy people, able to pay an inflated price. Однако шриланкийские торговцы готовы сбросить цену до 30%. The bargaining scheme is as follows: we divide the offered price in half, затем прибавляем 10–15% от суммы, показываем торговцу некоторую сумму денег и с невозмутимым лицом и деньгами в руках движемся к выходу. The likelihood of, что торговец догонит вас и согласится на вашу цену, very big. Tourists should bargain when buying souvenirs, clothes, ювелирных украшений и драгоценных камней. Стоит захватить с собой на шопинг маленький карманный калькулятор. Большинство владельцев магазинов и продавцов говорят по-английски. Naturally, торг неуместен в государственных магазинах, supermarkets, торговых центрах и магазинах duty free в аэропорту.
В магазинах Шри-Ланки всегда имеется большое разнообразие качественных изделий из хлопка, flax, jersey, skin. На товары местных производителей цены очень демократичны. So, хлопковая футболка будет стоить 2,5–3 $, хлопковая сорочка — 3–4 $, шорты — 4–5 $, брюки — 5–6 $, джинсы — 6–7 $, летняя кожаная обувь — 10–20 $. Детская одежда ещё дешевле — от 0,5 $. Одежда и обувь европейского производства — примерно в 2 раза дороже.
Mobile operators in Sri Lanka
|Operator||Owner||Number of subscribers|
Axiata Group Berhad
|Sri Lanka Telecom PLC||7 million.|
|Emirates Corporation||5 million.|
|Hutchison Whampoa Limited||4 million.|
|Bharti Airtel Limited||2 million.|
Market share distribution between operators in Sri Lanka
According to statistics, Dialog is the largest mobile operator in Sri Lanka, she owns 35% cellular market. Its two main competitors are Mobitel, whose market share is about 27% and Etisalat holds a slightly more modest volume – 17%. Younger companies have less market share of mobile operators Hutch – 14% и Airtel – 7%.
A TOUR FLOW TO SRI LANKA FROM RUSSIA SET THE HISTORICAL RECORD IN 2019 YEAR
According to the Sri Lanka Tourism Office, for the whole 2019 year arrived on the island 86 549 tourists from Russia. It's on 34,2% more, than in 2018 year (64 497). Index 2019 year - a record for Russia in the entire history of Russian tourism in Sri Lanka and exceeds the pre-crisis 2013 of the year (47 265 туристов) on 84%.
Thanks to the record, Sri Lanka among all island exotic destinations of the Indian Ocean in the Russian market has become a leader, ahead of even the Maldives (who also set their own record for arrivals from the Russian Federation).
Sri Lanka is a predominantly tour operator destination in Russia. According to expert estimates, more 60% tourists arrive on the island precisely through the line of tour operators. Their contribution to the record 2019 more than, than significant. The largest growth was recorded by players with their own charter programs to the island.
"AT 2019 year, the total volume of transportation increased significantly by additional programs of regular flights, in addition, AZUR air charter programs from Moscow and Yekaterinburg were also increased. In the winter season 2019/20 yy. added and a new city of departure - St. Petersburg (plus to Moscow and Yekaterinburg). In general, we can note the increase in tourist flow in our sales in 2,5 times compared to 2018 year. Flights to 2019 year were only for our tourists, there were no adjustments in the season, all flights departed from 100% loading. The most popular resorts of Sri Lanka among Russians this winter season - Hikkaduwa, Unawatuna, Veligama, Bentota. Average check for a tour to the hotel 3* на базе BB cоставлял примерно 80-90 000 rub. for a week ", - Anna Tkachenko told Vestnik ATOR, руководитель направления Шри-Ланка туроператора ANEX Tour.
According to Marina Makarkova, Head of Public Relations of the tour operator Coral Travel, the number of tourists sent to Sri Lanka in 2019 more than 30% exceeds volumes 2018 of the year. Coral Travel's most popular tourist resorts 2019 year became Unawatuna, Hiccups, Kalutara and Koggala.
PACS tour operator, which formed tours to Sri Lanka on the basis of regular flights noted only a slight increase in tourist traffic in 2019 year compared to 2018 year. But, says PAX Marketing Director Lyubov Chuchmaeva, Sri Lanka is now being booked very actively for the period January-March, в компании фиксируют прирост количества бронирований Шри-Ланки на 20% compared with 2019 year. The most popular resorts as always Hikkaduwa, Unawatuna, Bentota. Average check of the tour for 2 adults on 9-10 nights is in the company 130-150 thousand. p.
The volume of reservations in Sri Lanka with the tour operator "Intourist" (which also formed on the direction of tours on regular flights) grew by 7% to the same period last year. Most popular resorts – Hiccups, Unawatuna, Bentota, Negombo. The average bill for a tour for two is now about 100 thousand. rub. on 10 nights.
2020-th year, according to unanimous estimates of tour operators, promises to be successful for the referral - including thanks to the extension of the free visa regime, and a number of other factors, увеличивающих привлекательность Шри-Ланки для россиян.
“As for the popularity of Sri Lanka, then we think, that the potential of the country is large and the prerequisites for its mass character in the future are. We are ready to actively contribute to this., that over the past year new hotel chains have been investing in the Sri Lankan hospitality sector. So, in 2020 the new Sheraton hotel opens on the southwest coast of the island. New hotel under construction 5* in Unawatuna - Araliya Unawatuna Beach 5*. In the long term, it is planned to build a highway, linking Colombo to the East Coast, which will solve the transport issue and reduce the duration of the transfer from Colombo airport ", – поясняет Анна Ткаченко из ANEX Tour.
Even more interesting materials from ATOR – in our .
You can read the news, by subscribing to the Instagram account of the Association of Tour Operators, to ATOR's Telegram channel or to update our Facebook page.
Free online courses, webinars and electronic catalogs of tour operators can be found in “ATOR Academy”.
For current SPECIAL OFFERS of tour operators for tours abroad and in Russia, see the SPO section of the ATOR portal.